Thanks for your question Suhaib. Proposing to your girlfriend at your friend's wedding can be a nice idea but yet not preferable for 2 reasons: First, if you are planning to do it publicly, the bride and groom may feel that you are stealing their lights. Second, even if you plan to take her aside at the wedding and do it privately, you may ruin your night and her's by getting a "No" as an answer.
We believe you should know your girlfriend very well, think about what she loves and hates and then come up with your own special proposal idea that she can't say no to!
In our turn, we will provide you with some marriage proposal Dos and Don'ts that can help you take the right decision:
Marriage Proposal Dos:
1. Do talk to her about the possibility of getting married and make sure it's something you both want before you propose.
2. Do make it a surprise; women love romantic surprises.
3. Do get down on one knee; this will always be the women's favorite part of the story.
4. Do prepare your proposal speech aloud; it's the moment that she will be telling all her friends and family about for the rest of her life, so you want it to be a story worth telling. But at the same time don't worry too much about perfection; speak from your heart!
5. Do tell her why she is the one; believe me, this will increase your chances of getting a big "YES"!
6. Do offer her a ring; but make sure that when you buy the ring you notify the jewelry store that you might come with the bride to change the ring later because she might have a different ring style in her mind.
7. Do pick a memorable location or a spot that is meaningful to her.
8. Do be creative, different and romantic.
9. Do go to her house and talk to her parents; it's never an expired idea specially in our culture to call the parents, ask for an appointment, visit and propose to their daughter.
10. If you are proposing to an Arab lady in an Arab county; Do keep in mind that we still live in a reserved society and not all the things are yet acceptable in our traditions and beliefs.
Marriage Proposal Don'ts:
1. Don't propose in public; make it a private moment for 3 reasons; First of all, it's more romantic. Secondly, it will save you and her from embarrassment in case anything goes wrong. Thirdly, you will not have to worry about the audience's reaction.
2. Don't propose via online social media; just because you are a social media guru and you have 500 friends on FB and 700 followers on Twitter doesn't mean you have to propose via FB status or by tweeting on #Weddings! nothing is better than the full presence at that moment.
3. Don't propose too early but Don't wait too long!
4. Don't put the ring in the food; its an over used idea,which proved to be a huge failure.
5. Don't over do things; keep it simple.
6. Don't do it when she is distracted or upset about something else.
7. Don't put high expectations; just because you have asked doesn't mean she is ready to say yes right away!
We wish you the biggest "YES" in the world :)
Best of luck.