“I’m stuck at the office, I won’t be able to make it to the gym tonight!” –Does this phrase sound familiar? It does to most people, however it shouldn’t serve as an excuse not to keep up with your daily exercises.
The word ‘exercise’ itself originates from the Latinword ‘exercere’, meaning to keep busy or at work. Nevertheless, what the average adult does at work nowadays is sit on a desk chair for an average of 8 hours a day, not including the seated commute both ways and an evening of watching TV.
This sort of sedentary lifestyle increases our risk of obesity, back pain, poor posture, leg cramps, and tense muscles, not to mention utter boredom.So, how do you combat this situation? Here’s something you can do about it: Workout while you’re working!
Lower Body Exercises
- Leg Extensions: Sit tall with your abs tucked in and extend your right leg until it’s on the same level with the hip, squeezing the quadriceps. Hold for 2 seconds, lower and repeat for 16 rounds. Repeat on the left leg.
- Inner Thigh: Place a firm water bottle between your knees as you sit up tall in your chair. Squeeze the bottle, release halfway and squeeze again. Complete 16 repetitions of slow pulses.
Upper Body Exercises
- Front Raise &Triceps Press:Sit tall with your abs in and hold a large full water bottle in your right hand. Lift the bottle up to shoulder level, hold for 2 seconds, and then continue lifting it all the way up until your arm reaches your ear. Then, bend your elbow, and contract your triceps to bring the water bottle behind you. Spread your arms straight, lower it down and repeat for 12 rounds on each arm.
- Bicep Curl: Hold your water bottle with your right hand, and with abs in and back straight, curl the bottle towards your shoulder and lower back down for 16 repetitions. Repeat on the left arm.
- Side Bends: Hold a large water bottle with both hands and stretch up over your head, arms straight. Gently bend towards the right as far as you can, contracting the abs. Come back to the center and repeat to the left. Complete 20 reps.
- Ab Twists: Hold the water bottle at chest level and, keeping the knees and hips forward, gently twist to the left as far as you comfortably can, feeling the abs contract. Twist back to center and move to the left for a total of 10 repetitions. Don't force it or you may end up with a back injury.
Try adding in some stretching to your daily routine at the office, it really helps in refreshing and energizing your body for that extra boost you may need!
Yours in Health,G.X Gym