Azura Selous is located on the banks of the Great Ruaha River, in a remote and spectacular part of the Selous Game Reserve in southern Tanzania. Our area is particularly regarded for the exclusivity it offers, where you will often find it’s just you, your camera and the animals at a viewing.
The Selous is all about an authentic safari experience, about getting back to basics and tracking the animals through this vast and beautiful piece of African Wilderness. At some 4 times the size of the Serengeti, the Selous has a diverse habitat, with many and varied topographies and game and birdlife experiences, but with a fraction of the visitors you will find elsewhere.
There are just 12 air-conditioned tented villas at Azura Selous, each well spread out along the banks of the river, ensuring an intimate and private safari experience. The villas are both spacious and luxurious, with fantastic vistas across to the hippos and wildlife that frequent the stretch of river where we are located. Their unique design is part solid and part tented for that authentic bush feeling, with safari-chic décor, super kingsize or twin beds draped with the softest netting, termite mound shaped entrance halls with chandeliers, fully equipped bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers, lounging decks with daybeds, and refreshing plunge pools overlooking the rapids of the Great Ruaha River.
We offer a vast range of expertly guided activities including game drives by 4 wheel drive vehicle, boating safaris to get up close to our hippos and some magnificent birdlife, fishing in the fast flowing Great Ruaha River, including tiger fishing for the enthusiast, and walking safaris to learn more on the little five and our beautiful flora and fauna. Venture further afield to see magnificent Stieglers Gorge, Selous’ grave, the confluence of the mighty Rufiji and Ruaha rivers, the plains known as little Serengeti where vast herds of buffalo roam, or the busier tourism hub of the lakes.
As usual at Azura, we firmly believe in a tailored, personalised experience for our guests. Azura Selous forms the perfect base for whatever your safari agenda might be. Our luxurious facilities are perfect for relaxing, with a swim in our huge infinity pool, sundowners by the river, a massage at your tented villa, sitting on the deck and viewing our ever-present river life, watching elephant and giraffe at our water hole, enjoying a romantic dinner for 2 on your deck, or just relaxing with a book and taking in the sights and sounds of the African bush.
We pride ourselves with some magnificent bush breakfasts, fabulously creative picnics in the wilderness, traditional African sundowners, and riverside dinners as the hippos emerge and stroll on by. Order a romantic private dinner at your villa with a bottle of sparkling wine from the owner’s estate in France and listen to the distant roar of lions. Or enjoy the magnificence of a candle-lit bush dinner sitting around the fire, staring at the stars, and sharing the stories of the day, a highlight for most of our guests.
- The Selous Game Reserve is over 45,000 square kilometres in area, some 4 times the size of Serengeti and two and a half times the size of Kruger.
- There is nothing like Azura Selous in terms of style or concept in southern Tanzania.
- The Selous has Africa’s largest elephant, buffalo, crocodile and hippo populations, as well as great numbers of lion, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, bushbuck, eland, greater kudu, leopard and antelope.
- Due to our exclusive location, the game drives here feel like you are on a private concession; if you stay 4 nights as most guests do you probably won’t see another vehicle from start to finish.
- The unique 'eco-chic' design of our tented villas offers guests something very different and fresh compared to other lodges in southern Tanzania. They feature handmade items from community based projects in line with our 'designed to give' principles.
- Cuisine at Azura Selous follows our ‘every day is different’ dining philosophy, where we vary your dining experiences.