Stem cells in our bodies are very unique and special, that is because they fight diseases and repair damage on their own. Any problem with stem cell renewal is the cause of many health problems such as hair loss, which can be overcomed and treated by plasma injections. What is plasma and how does it work?
Platelet-rich plasma therapy is an alternative medical procedure, it is completely natural and non-surgical, used to treat hair loss or thinning. It is an injectable treatment that contains essential hair growth factors, it is injected in the scalp using a special thin needle. Which stimulates hair growth by increasing blood flow to hair follicles. The end result will be thick and healthy hair. PRP or platelet-rich plasma therapy consists of 3 main steps:
1. Pull the blood and place it in a centrifuge.
2. After about 10 minutes in the centrifuge, the blood will be separated into three layers:
- Weak platelets plasma.
- Rich platelets plasma.
- Red blood cells.
3. In the final stage plasma is placed in a specific tool and then injected into the scalp specifically in areas that need to increase hair growth.
Plasma platelets consist of the following growth factors that stimulate hair growth:
- The growth factor derived from platelets: (PDGF), which activates the process of cell proliferation, which is a key factor in supporting hair growth.
- Skin growth factor: (FGF) responsible for the formation of collagen.
- Growth factor of vascular membranes: (VEGF) responsible for increased vascular production.
- Fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) is a factor in the growth of cells supporting follicles and blood vessels.
- Growth factor beta transformation: (TGF_b) A factor supporting the growth of membranes between cells and supporting the metabolism of bones.
- Growth factor: IGF is a necessary factor. To regulate the physiological processes of cells, a factor similar to insulin.
Here are 10 facts discussed by one of the most famous hair transplant clinics in Turkey for those coming to treat their hair loss problems:
1. What are the causes of hair loss?
There are many causes of hair loss, including food, medicine, and psychological and health conditions, but the main factors that cause hair loss are four: Hormones, genes, age, stress.
2. What are the advantages of PRP or plasma treatment?
- Simple non-surgical procedure.
- Multiple injections take about 60 minutes no more.
- Safe and confirmed results.
- Very fast recovery period.
3. Is PRP Painful?
Some patients suffer from some pain when using local anesthesia, but in general the pain is very little and bareable and disappears immediately after the session and can be easily controlled.
4. Are there any side effects to PRP or plasma treatment?
Enriched plasma is derived from the patient's own blood, so there is no risk of infection or allergic reaction. However, any treatment involving injections carries a rare risk of some side effects such as:
- Injury to blood vessels or nerves.
- Accumulation at injection points.
- Or tissue scarring.
5. Is PRP or plasma treatment suitable for me?
PRP or platelet-rich plasma therapy is suitable for most healthy men and women. But do not forget to tell your doctor about all the medicines you use including supplements and herbs.
You may be rejected for treatment if you are diagnosed with: acute or chronic infections, cancer, chronic liver disease, chronic skin diseases, unstable blood circulation, decreased platelet counts, thyroid disease.
6. How long does PRP or plasma treatment take?
The actual operation usually takes about 60 minutes, depending on the areas being treated.
7. How many sessions are needed to get the desired results?
The number of sessions varies by individual factors per person but often requires 5-8 sessions, giving the client a break of ten to two weeks.
8. Do I need to repeat this treatment?
Depending on the individual needs of each person, treatment of PRP or plasma-rich platelets can be repeated until the desired result is achieved. Experiments show that periodic treatment every 3 to 6 months can produce highly advanced results.
9. How much does a PRP or plasma treatment cost?
The PRP treatment usually consists of four to six sessions divided as follows: one session per month which means that you will need 4-6 months to complete the treatment. The cost depends on a number of factors, including: the place of treatment in terms of the geographical location of the city and the quality of equipment. In Vera Clinic Turkey, for example, the cost of a plasma session is between $150 and $250.
10. Are the results guaranteed?
There is no so-called 100% guaranteed results in cosmetic surgery, but in a study done by a hair transplant clinic there was a marked decrease in hair loss between the first and fourth injection of PRP or plasma-rich plasma therapy. Hair rose from an average of 71 bulbs to 93 bulbs.
PRP or platelet plasma injection is one of the most modern methods used to treat hair loss without the need for surgical intervention and has been a major success in re-germination of hair and reduce wrinkles of the skin and doctors are using it to treat other health problems such as hardening of bones and dry skin.