Every bride and groom plan for their honeymoon beforehand but leave their packing for the last minute! Well, packing for your honeymoon is as important as planning it, with all the excitement and planning hype you are most likely going to forget a thing or two, here or there.
That’s why we have created the ultimate honeymoon packing guide for you! You just can't go wrong! Whether it’s tips, advice, or checklists, we have every detail covered so that you can pack smart for the honeymoon. We’ve got your covered!
Have you chosen your honeymoon destination yet? Check out the best honeymoon destinations here!
What do you need to consider when you’re buying your luggage?
When you finish shopping and buying the main items on your list it is time to buy your luggage, there are many beautiful luggage bags available in the market and many high-end brands create amazing luggage like Dolce & Gabbana, Kate Spade, and many others.
- Size: You may want a larger bag to hold all your belongings, but keep in mind that larger bags weigh heavier and airlines have weight limits. Economy class travelers on most airlines have a weight limit of 23 kg per suitcase.
- Fabric: Nylon is always lighter than leather, plastic, or metal.
- Options: Wheels, pockets, and handles will make your traveling much easier.
- Information: Check with the airlines you will be traveling with for extra information on your luggage and carry-on bags beforehand. Make sure you have a cosmetic bag with you to put all your makeup and small objects in. But also check with your airline regarding liquids and security regulations. For example, do not carry a scissor or a nail file in your carry-on bag or handbag.
What to put in your luggage?
- Wrinkle-free: Instead of folding your clothes and having them all wrinkled when you unpack, try rolling them neatly; it will save more space too. Having a Garment Bag can definitely help especially if you are planning on making dresses, suits, or formal shirts. (Garment Bags are plastic or nylon covers with a hook at the top for hanging.) Take a look at these honeymoon fashion tips!
- Tag your luggage: Make sure you put a tag with your name, home address, and hotel address on your luggage in case they get lost.
- Save some money: Pack your beauty and cosmetic products, such as small size bottles of sunscreen, lotion, or medicine so you won't have to spend extra money on them.
- Take a present: Wouldn't it be nice if you surprise your spouse with a small gift once you arrive at your destination? Consider it.
- Pack all important documents e.g. passports, tickets/e-ticket, travel insurance, marriage certificate.... that you may need in one place and preferably pack them in your carry-on bag. Be extra careful with these important documents.
- Be sure to pack adapters and converters! They usually differ from one country to another. Be aware of the difference in voltages between countries.
- Don’t waste space: E-mail your hotel and ask if they provide electrical items such as a hairdryer or iron in the room so you won't have to carry them with you.
How to pack light on your honeymoon?
- Write a list: Write everything you need on a paper, and then pick all your necessities, so you don’t overpack. Check out our helpful honeymoon packing list!
- Pack Mix-and-Match Outfits: This will help you create different looks with fewer items to pack. Go for a neutral color that goes with all your outfits when it comes to your shoes and bags. Instead of packing bulky sweaters, pack a few items you can wear together and stay warm at the same time. It will take less space and softer fabrics are usually easier to pack.
- Pack a Rolly: Pack a foldable bag that you can carry later especially if you are planning on going shopping while on your honeymoon.
- Roll: Roll your sweaters, cardigans, and jeans, to make more space for other items.
- Plastic Bags: Plastic garment bags from the dry cleaners are great to keep your nice pieces in good shape. Keep your clothes on the hanger, including your pants. When you get to the hotel, hang them up in the closet and they're ready to wear with no wrinkles.
- Wrinkle-free Dresses: If you are packing an extra fancy dress or shirt, you should stuff the sleeves with acid-free tissue.
- Your Shoes: Keep your shoes in separate fabric bags.
- Travel size: From your travel adapter to your face cream, toothpaste, and beauty products, opt for travel size or smaller sizes to take with you on your trip. Mark your bags and bottles clearly, and just to be on the safe side, put your toiletries bag inside a large plastic Ziploc bag in case a shampoo bottle explodes mid-flight.
- Outsmart your luggage: Once your bags are packed and you're ready to jet, try tying your zippers shut with a small piece of linen twine for security. Keep it in the outside pocket of your suitcase so you're sure not to lose it.
A list of beauty items you should pack for your honeymoon
Here is a list of beauty items to pack with you, to make sure you look and feel great at all times:
- Razor and shaving cream
- Makeup essentials
- Face cleanser
- Face moisturizer
- Hair spray, mousse, or anti-frizz products
- Hair accessories: hair ties, clips, headbands
- Curling iron or straightening iron
- Nail file
- Contact lens solution/eye drops (if needed)
- Lip balm
- Aloe gel
- Insect repellent
- Lip balm with SPF
- Beach spray for hair
- Bottle of nail polish
- Hand sanitizer
- Lightweight sunscreen
- Oil-blotting papers
- Bandages for blisters
What to pack in your first aid travel kit?
- Antibiotic cream
- Anti-diarrheal medication
- Pain killers
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Prescriptions (if you take any)
- Hand sanitizer
- Birth control medication (if needed)
Pack the things you need to stay connected
- Your Mobile.
- Memory Card.
- iPad or any electronic device you need.
- Dictionary or linguistic booklet (if traveling to a foreign country).
- A copy of the marriage contract.
- A copy of the medical record, if necessary.
- A printed copy of your e-tickets.
- Credit cards.
- Driving licenses (preferably international licenses).
- Your country's embassy phone numbers.
- Emergency numbers.
- ID cards.
- Medical travel insurance, if necessary
What you need to pack in your honeymoon suitcase
- Bathing suit, swimming pool and beach supplies, and pack 2 bathing suits in case, and if you wear a hijab, you can buy modest swimwear designed specifically for veiled women.
- Gloves, scarf/shawl (for a winter honeymoon)
- Dresses, choose dresses and skirts that you can accessorize, high heels, and makeup and at the same time, you can wear them for a more casual look with fewer accessories. You will not have to pack ten skirts or ten dresses.
- Hats, you will definitely need to pack a hat, for a stylish look go for a fun straw hat, or a sports hat for a sporty look.
- Jewelry or accessories, and be sure not to forget your sunglasses. Take two or three earrings with you, as well as bracelets and necklaces, to change accessories depending on your clothes.
- Pajamas. Take a look at some beautiful honeymoon bridal lingerie.
- Shirts, you will definitely need to have a variety of t-shirts and shirts without sleeves. You can take a linen shirt that can be worn in different ways.
- Trousers, you can pack a pair or 2 of trousers if you prefer to wear them on vacation. But you won't need that, as shorts are more comfortable for tropical destinations, and you probably won't have to wear jeans or pants. If you still want to pack your pants, it is best to either to pack linen or cotton pants.
- For your shoes, you will need a pair of slippers, a pair of sandals, and a couple of high heels or sandals for evening parties. If you plan to walk or do sports, it is best to pack a pair of sneakers and socks.
- Hair Brushes.
- Contact Lenses (if you use them).
- Loofah (if you prefer not to use what the hotel offers)
- Pads or tampons.
- Shaving razor or paste (or an electric hair removal machine)
- Nail Care Kit: Nail polish remover, cotton, nail polish.
- Beach Bag.
The groom's honeymoon packing list
- Casual jacket.
- Hat.Jacket or Winter Coat.
- Swimming Shorts.
- Walking Shoes.
- Contact Lenses (if you are using them).
- Shaving Razor and Paste.
- Toothpaste and Toothbrush.
- Soaps and Perfumes.
Other details you might need on your honeymoon
- Satin pillowcase: When you get to your hotel or cruise ship room, put a satin pillowcase over the pillow. The satin is softer on your skin and hair than cotton and doesn’t cause creases and wrinkles. You will feel like you are sleeping at a 5-star luxurious hotel.
- Earplugs and eyeshades: In case the airline does not offer you earplugs or eyeshades, it makes a lot of sense to pack them. The earplugs will come in very handy in the airplane or at the hotel and so will the eyeshades.
- Wet Wipes: These are moist towelettes that you will need to wipe your hands, face, and upper body whenever you want to refresh. The ones fragranced with real essential oils are best. Pack them in your purse, suitcase, backpack, briefcase, car, gym bag, and wallet.
- Antibiotics: Talk to your doctor before you travel and get a prescription for antibiotics. It can save your life on your trip when the last thing you want to do is search for a local doctor. Just exercise caution if and when you use antibiotics, and only use them for a severe infection.
- Lowfat snacks: Pack some low-calorie snacks in your handbag and suitcase so you don’t find yourself binging on unhealthy high-calorie snacks when you feel hungry. Include dried prunes, rice cereals, high fiber cereals, raisins, almonds, and nuts.