So you’ve decided to buy your wedding dress, and you want to keep it for good memories (and good luck). But how do you look after it?
Let us help you out with these easy steps you can follow to preserve your wedding gown, and keep it in mint condition.
- Take your dress to a dry cleaner that specializes in wedding dresses. Usually, the material used to clean wedding dresses is different than normal clothing. Ask your friends and family for recommendations.
- Make sure you take one last look at your wedding dress before it is packed so you can see for yourself that all the stains have been perfectly removed.
- Wedding dresses are always stuffed with clean and acid-free tissue that is placed between the folds of the gown. That will prevent wrinkles and permanent folds as well as stabilize the environment the gown is kept in.
- Remove any material from the dress that has a short shelf life, such as padding, shoulder pads, perspiration shields or anything made of foam. Also, don’t pack any plastic or metal accessories with your dress. Pins, buckles, or crystals can ruin your gown’s fabric.
- One of the best ways of packing your wedding dress is by wrapping it in muslin and folding it neatly into a cardboard box.
- Never hang your wedding gown for long-term storage or seal the box completely. The gown needs proper air circulation, so make sure you store it in a closet or a well-ventilated storage area. Don’t put the gown in a hot attic or a cold basement. Extreme temperatures can damage your gown.
Your wedding dress is probably one of the most precious things you will ever own.
Whether you decide to pass it on to your daughter one day, or keep it for memory, it deserves proper storing.